afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Friday, November 12, 2004

Time Corps 16

As we walk back, Heidi says quietly, "ah Indira, are you in the throes of writing? Or could you spare time for a private chat?"
"Outline and salient facts in place, now just follow the Yellow Brick Road, fill up the wordcount. Yes, I can spare whatever time you need."
"Thanks, you're a real pal."
No food in my place, we do eat in the mess, but I have electric kettle and tea bags, put on tea for us.
"Ah Indira, you know that sneaky Col Khan is a lot more sadistic than she lets on."
"So you noticed that too."
She laughs mirthlessly, "take you, not only does she rub your nose in all that prudery you East Indians have, she tweaks your disdain toward fiction."
"Ah yes, Col is very good at killing 2 birds with 1 stone."
"Now me, I haven't managed to write a single word yet."
"Why not?"
"Double yuck for topic, kibbutz in Israel."
"I imagine lotsa Germans feel that way."
"I ain't lotsa Germans, there's more to the story. My great-grandfather was a camp commandant. In the 1945 chaos, managed to switch identity with an already-dead infantry corporal. As a child I got the cover story. When I grew up, the real truth."
"Heidi, even if you'd lived sooner, even if it were your father, that simply does not make you guilty. You didn't have a Schmeisser in your hands."
"True, but you still pick up a lot of anti-Jewish sentiment."
"Heidi, ancient history, lay it to rest."
"Ah Indira, there's more to the story. In college, I had a friend, Palestinian exchange student. She told me of all the dirty tricks Israelis use in refugee camps."
"Heidi, any newsmag of the time would tell you that. Is there more to the story?"
"Ah yeah, she and I well ah we had a well ah girl-girl fling. Neither of us dykes, just a chemical thing."
I don't reply, stare out the window.
"So Indira, I'm begging you, tell me what you'd do."
In a flash, inspiration strikes, "Col Khan said any era in Israeli history. Choose 1948, still squeaky clean, Boy Scout types. Classic David versus Goliath story. Make the men and women of that kibbutz mega-heroes in battle against the Egyptians."
She breaks into a smile, "you just killed 2 birds with one stone. Danced around my angst and gave me a storyline which can easily top 50,000." She hugs me warmly, "gotta run, get that laptop rolling. Thanks again Indira."

Next morning, Heidi looks bleary-eyed. Weary grin, "10,000 words of tank battle to lead off. How bout that? Thanks again friend."
Betty Lou has a cheerful look, "99% of men are swine 90% of the time. My little brother used to pork niggers when he was younger. Just decided it doesn't matter if a few fictional characters on my plantation do the same."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home