afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Field Commission 19

Parvana and I see a teenage boy and girl headed toward our position. They don't notice us, the boy playing with a door lock.
I place cold steel against the side of his head, "don't move a muscle." Parvana pats down both, no weapons. "Now, what you doing here?"
"Ma'am this is our building, in a way."
"In what way?"
"I used to work here, til it closed, kept a key."
In a flash, I know what he means, mixed couple, no public place they can meet safely.
I smile, "Romeo and Juliet huh?"
The girl smiles shyly, "I'm Catholic, he's a Prod."
"Let me give you advice, be gone well before dark. Tonight will be big trouble."
"Thank you ma'am," in they go.
As they emerge, the girl says, "ma'am, we want to thank you. Made us stop and look at things. Realize this is an insane place to live. We're on our way to the ferry, lot of jobs in England."
Quietly the boy says, "we're outa cigarettes. Nothing open to buy any. Could you give us a few please?"
I pull out a whole pack, give them a ten, "here, have a drink on the ferry, compliments of the US Army. Best o luck in Blighty."
Away they go, picking their way through the ruins, staying in good cover from spotters.
Quietly Parvana says, "you see how it works. The extremists on both sides have taken over. Anyone who can compromise, meet people half way, is leaving."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home