afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Lily 4

I no longer attend synagogue, unable to hear the proceedings.
Nor do I visit JCC anymore. After my refusal letter from Israel, I have little to no interest in reading of events there.
Not being able to talk with my mother, I miss out all the gossip of what her generation group is up to; the same could be said of my former friends.
In fact, my connection to the Jewish world is so tenuous, that all I see anymore are events in the local Jewish weekly.
Eva's book being released is a major event, getting a full page of book review.
Of course father buys, he buys everything that publisher produces. After all, he does have lotsa money and lotsa bookshelves.
The story is broken down into three parts: the lads' upbringing, set in a mythical town not our own; the gold panning in the Yukon; and the gay bathhouse scene in Vancouver. Each gets approximately a third of the pages.
I find myself raising eyebrows over the story of their upbringing. Eva wields a nasty pen, takes parents who were quite decent and makes them seem totally inept in parenting skills, thus producing the gay kids. I'm left wondering whether she's skated over the line into defamation of character and can be sued; or if it's simply artistic license.
The Yukon adventure is the best, totally authentic, obviously well researched, a cracking good modern day adventure in remote spots.
The gay bathhouse scene - oy - less said the better.
I find myself hugely relieved that my character didn't show in the book; can only imagine how much character assassination could be going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home