afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Rose 11

A few months later, I hear the familiar ping, smile, "hello Xar, I'll put on coffee."
"Sounds wonderful Rose, you make the best coffee of any of my clients."
Once I've poured, she starts tentatively, "ah, what do you make of the job search, Rose? Wasn't it over a thousand resumes, mostly by email?"
I smile wanly, "actually just over 1,500. Lotta rejection, major hit on the self esteem. Still, I choose to look on the bright side, call it a victory."
"So what did you get?"
"Miles better than those silly McJobs. Unionized job at the university library, full time, decent wage. If something better shows up over time, fine. If not, this is something I can live with."
"Give me your new schedule please, so I know when you're likely to be at home."
"Sure, ..."
She smiles, "I'm now ready to start learning about Japanese literature. I imagine it will take several visits."
I get up, pour us more coffee. This will definitely take a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home