afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Dark Chronicles of Nooria 14

Lt continues, "ok class, time for committee work."
Everyone groans, including me.
"Now you see HQ has generously allowed 1,000 Rs to purchase library books. Here's a list of what's available, come to agreement."
The group splits into 2 factions, fiction and non-fiction. After a vigorous show of debate, they cheerfully agree to a 50/50 split.
Lt has the last word, "now listen up. I know nobody likes committee work." Boos, catcalls. "But suck it up. You grow up, you'll do lots of this. Endless debate on how best to use tiny resources. Higher your rank, more time you'll spend in meetings just like this. Won't die of the boredom, it'll just feel that way."
As we walk back, Tasmina grins, "you were well-behaved, considering it's full moon."
"Hormonal problems, wolf fur didn't come this time. Don't you see what they're doing, Tasmina? Comparison and contrast. One totalitarian decision making and then one committee one. They're aiming to teach you to find the right balance, partway between."
She looks at me suspiciously, "so, there is a point in all this? No one else spotted it."
"See committee work can get carried to extremes, ponderous waste of time. Dictatorship only works well in extreme emergency, other than that, falls prey to blind spots, blunders. Der Fuhrer losing half million men at Stalingrad is your classic example of that. You want balance."
"Something bout you. Know way too much for a mere reader of history. You're now speaking from experience, right?"
"Yeah."
"Where? Germany as I guess?"
"Yeah."
"Jokes on you Nooria. Gotta do the same nonsense all over again."
"And just how do you know you aren't in the same boat?"
She gasps, "you ah recognize me?"
"Sure."
"Do tell."
"Some other time. Long story, take days in the telling."
"Recognize anyone else in the OC meeting, Nooria?"
"The Lt and one other girl."
She laughs wickedly, "the Lt? Hot stuff. Now I know why she's so nuts."
"Everyone here is nuts. Why would Lt be any different?"
"One giant insane asylum, inmates run the place."

Shauzia grins, "how'd it go?"
"We visited Leningrad during the Siege. Then debated library purchases."
"Which was more fun?"
"Leningrad."
"Which side were you?"
"Soviets."
"Sure don't sound like fun to me. Look Nooria, I'm real sorry I freaked last time. See now I've heard lotsa talk round the members mess now. Bit of an idea how crazy it is for officers. Am I forgiven?"
"Hey, it was a flash in the pan. Nothing. Forget it. We're still friends."
"Thanks."

I get a letter, jointly signed by CO and MP sgt. Following a review of company punishment, an error in jurisprudence has been found. Since I was unaware, unnotified of being officer cadet, I cannot be expected to adhere to OC standards of conduct. The one day suspension is stricken from my file.
Thursday morning, I see that same food server. Funny, thought she was still in back, KP.
She grins, "so got your letter? Cancelled the company punishment?"
"Yeah."
It's uncrowded at this hour, no one up and about unless necessary, ie patrol.
She continues, "gotta letter too. Had to cancel mine too."
"How is that?"
Huge smirk, "see 2 errors, found by the MP sgt. I was charged with starting a false rumor which causes demoralization. I didn't start it, you did. And when they didn't meet payday, then it ain't false rumor any more, just news."
We both laugh.
She punches my arm lightly, "MP sgt just loves doing that. CO ends with lotsa egg on her face, hasta cancel maybe a third of em. And me, owe me bonus for KP time. So, no hard feelings, you and me is friends." Appraising look, "you seem lot smarter than the rest of that OC crowd. How'd you get dragged into that crap? Volunteer?"
"Only found out my name was in it, when I was in the CO's office."
"Be it on your own head, kid. Wanna grow up, work 12 hours a day with all that red tape? You should aim to be a sgt. After all, sgt makes same pay as Captain and at least can smoke dope."
"I'll keep that in mind."
"Better run kid. That sarge friend of yours is throwing me dirty looks, like she's jealous."
Amina sniffs, "shouldn't hang out with riffraff. Got your reputation as OC to consider."
"Is it not wise for an officer to get input from all? She was talking, I was learning."
"Right, but keep it so. Brief. Don't get too chummy. Next thing you'd be smoking dope."
"I can't afford any."
"Matters not. They like you, they give you some, so watch out."
By now, I can clearly see the disease, communicationus lackus thereof. Officers have their own little cult, sgt's theirs, other ranks theirs. Messages either don't pass at all or in garbled fashion.
MP sgt slides in next to us. Looking out over her huge mountain of food, she flashes an ear-to-ear grin, "so Nooria, got your letter?"
"Oh yes, sarge."
"Cool, that's a dozen she had to back down on this week. Teach her a lesson. If she had one ounce of sense, she'd check the legalese with me first. But oh no, stubborn as they get. Sees herself a modernday Captain Bligh."
Everyone laughs.
MP sgt continues, "so Nooria, they's torturing you with boredom in those weekly meetings?"
"Last time I checked sarge, Geneva Convention doesn't list boredom as one of the prohibited tortures."
Howls of laughter.
"So, lemme guess, they ran you through that silly Nazi script. Tell us how it went."
I do, see looks of awe all around.
"Well now," Amina says cheerfully, "you take the cake. Nobody ever shoots from the hip that well."
Out on patrol, I'm a celebrity. Everyone wants to hear of my recent encounter with the justice system. I give and tell them what happened in the food server's case.
After much ooh and ah, they want the script from the OC meeting.
After my stories are told, I'm back to just being me. I curl up with Amina as she scans with binoculars. Yeah, maybe she was a bit sharp at me this morning, but all that stuff passes. Just her way of saying she cares, is looking out for me.
Parvana squats next to us, "Nooria, time for a chat." Don't you just hate it when grownups talk like that?
"Now you see Nooria, everything has changed. Used to be just party time, go for a ride with girls, have fun. Now you're an OC, changes it all. Gotta see what we do. Learn bout paperwork and such. Tonight after supper, you and me, we do the paper for this patrol."
I look at her blankly, oh no, it's starting already.
She ruffles my hair, "come on Nooria, I'm not being unkind. If I wanted to be a real stickler, I'd have you come with me everytime. But I talked with Amina. She feels the sgt's are a good influence on you, wouldn't want you to miss out on that. So we agreed, every third week, you do paper with me. Other 2, you can stay, talk with your friends in the mess."
I'm surprised to see how many are there. See it's Thursday night, that's equivalent to Saturday night back in Canada. A dozen or more, chipping away. Two are quietly arguing, low enough not to disturb others. One Lt is showing stuff to another OC girl. The rest, just schlumping away on paper.
The other girl rolls her eyes at me and it's hard not to laugh. I wink back.
Definitely Parvana isn't being unkind. She and I are first to leave. Generous soul that she is, she walks me back to members mess, where I am warmly welcomed by the gang.
Amina grins, "so the vampire drew first blood? Get used to it."
"Can one resign as OC?"
"Anytime you like. Next morning, they tie you to a post, shoot you."
Sgt's all roar with laughter.
Amina grins, "Nooria my friend, ever heard the word 'cult'? Once in, never out. Just so."
"Oh."
"But it ain't all bad. They do get 10 Rs a month extra as paperwork allowance."
Everyone laughs.
"And since you won't be buying dope, only take 15 or 2o years to save enough for a motor scooter. By then, you'd be too old to ride it. Or too fat. Or both."
Loud howls of laughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home