afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Time Corps 17

It isn't all that hard, I take no days off. One day of setup of crime scene, finding of body and many clues, too many, some are red herrings. One day to chronicle each of my 8 main suspects. The dirt comes out, we see the Chief Scientist as a total jerk, hated by all. I cover the fierce academic rivalries, extending back to Earth.
Final scene takes a day, Chief Cop hold a Council of War. Unanimous agreement, it'll be reported as an accident. No one wishes to see the cook punished for what all would secretly like to do. Besides they need a cook.
I take 2 days off writing, but still attend the daily chat. Then settle into a 5 day week of spelling, grammar, change the odd word. We aren't expected to do a 2nd draft, no time, but at least my first draft will be a little polished.
I'm first done, tipping the scales at 51,000 words.
Heidi does 72,000 words of combat, interspersed with precious little of back-home-on-the-kibbutz.
Betty Lou easily rolls northward of 60,000 with sex sex and more sex. I'm wondering how much cotton ever got picked.

Col Khan, "my computer has scanned all. Everyone meets, even exceeds my requirements. I haven't read all yet, just the salient parts of each. Two tie for first place, will read aloud in class. Heidi, your opening tank battle, today. Indira, that orgy, ooooh, wish I was there, tomorrow."

I put down my script, see the catatonic dazed looks. From a million miles away, Betty Lou says, in tones of reverence, "no one on Earth would ever believe Indira could manage that. Tour-de-force, wish I could do as well."
I smile gently, "plantation days, S&M wasn't trendy yet, just whip."
Everyone laughs.
"So-oo," Col Khan says, "you see what happens when you face demons head-on. Heidi and Indira did, resta you sorta sidled up, tried to slide by a bit. In both cases, obvious it was written in one sitting. Flow of energy, things naturally melt into each other. Wouldn't have the same flow if spread out over 2 or 3 sittings. Remember in future, when writing. Break it into segments, do each segment at a sitting." Wicked smile, "and you Indira, next S&M party you go to, take me along."
Howls of laughter.

Next morning at breakfast, Col Khan joins me, "wow, could not put it down. Unreal, all the suspense. Just loved your ending."
"Did you suspect the cook before I announced it?"
Laugh, "not one iota, you had me totally led down the garden path, with all that academic rivalry and sex jealousy. It came as a bolt from the blue." Sad smile, "that said, you have a serious flaw for our line of work. Say 4 times the level of disdain towards men as is average."
"Is that a problem Col?"
"Actually yes, we don't expect you to bed them, unless you choose, but we do expect a modicum of impartiality when you interview."
"Oh."
"I'm guessing child abuse. Would I be right?"
I blush.
"Indira, after breakfast, you and I are walking to the counsellors' office, booking you an appointment. Unresolved problems don't sit well in our line of work."
"Is that an order Col?"
"Yes Lt, an order."
I examine her face carefully, "it ain't an order. Not Col talking to Lt, but woman to woman. Been there, got the Tshirt, right?"
She nods.
"I'll take your advice and book the appointment."
"Indira take comfort in the fact you aren't the only phobia spotted. Half dozen getting the same sermonette, other issues."

The receptionist flashes a cheeky smile, "gotta start giving you airmiles Col, all the business you bring us."
"Corporal, why not shut down that attitude? You either give counsellors business or ultimately, you give it to MP's."
"Yeah, never thought of it that way, but you're right. So Lt, 3 o'clock ok?"
"Yes."
"Good, bring a cross, your counsellor is a vampire."
This sets Col and me laughing.
Col, "gotta hand it to you, you're the Queen of Irreverence."
"No I ain't, paras are more so."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home