afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Field Commission 21

As Parvana and I watch, a Royal Ulster Constabulary patrol vehicle drives by. No shooting, no whistle sound, but the engine explodes spontaneously. Moment later, the whole vehicle goes up.
I feel an arm on my shoulder, "so that's what woulda happened if we started a fire?"
"Fraid so, you saw it with your own eyes."
"****ing insane place Lt, I wanna go home."
"If you are still alive by morning, you probably will. All or nothing tonight. Ra will throw everything into this one assault. After, take a while to rest, replenish supply. By then we'd be back in Herrlingen."
"No I mean real home."
"Where's that?"
"California. I'm chilled to the ****ing bone, can't handle this sh**."
I have a towel in my pack, take it out, "here, something more to wrap on you."
Hilz addresses me quietly, "so what was that last device? What blew the motor?"
"Darned if I know."
"You were an elec tech and you don't know. Gotta be a new invention. So, your guess?"
"Triggers on heat and/or electrical impluse."
"Meaning the whole ****ing British Army is gonna fry tonight. Only ones left alive will be some of the infantry."
"Sad to say, I would believe that an accurate assessment."
"Once the vehicles are all gone, we're easy pickings. So, what have you decided to do?"
"Sit here, we all die. After dark, slither on back to the docks. Anyone left alive, they'll evac, if they can."
"And if not?"
"You know the answer to that."
"Yep, all dead. Ever read of history of Dunkirk Lt? Maybe this time they'll hafta do it with sailboats only, no motor vessels."
"Could be."
"Well what the hell, if I see you alive in Liverpool, I'll buy you a drink."
"Nothing but the best, I'm not a cheap date."
"Lt if you and me are still alive, I reckon Chivas Regal would be in order."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home