afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Rachel 5

We return from recess to find a huge stack of books on Teacher's desk. With a smile that I've come to associate with invariable bad news, she starts, "rest of the afternooon will be a study period, so get that homework done. Reason, I'm handing out the books I've chosen for each of you to report on. And oh yes, I'm sure all of you will have questions or comments."
As my turn comes, my hand shakes when I reach out to take "Les Bienveillantes" by Jonathan Littell. "Ma'am," I say uneasily, "that isn't a childrens' book. I've heard Naomi's parents' friends talk about it."
"I see, and what do they say?"
"Not only an excess of blood and gore, but even homosex and incest."
She laughs, "did it occur to you they were speaking of the adult version? The full 900 page original? This is only 200 pages."
"Oh."
She opens the cover, "there, see that paragraph, in English and French? What does it say?"
"Endorsed by the Quebec Department of Education as suitable for children. Still, does the British Columbia Department have the same view?"
"They don't review it, trust the Quebec assessment, can't afford to review every French book. And oh yes, I can assure you it's been vacuumed clean of homosex and incest, and the blood and gore content has gone down, some anyhow. It's the children fun version. You tour with an Einsatzkommando, get encircled at Stalingrad, do research inside a concentration camp and see up close and personal the fall of Berlin."
"With all due respect ma'am, that does not sound child friendly to me."
"Rachel I wouldn't give it to you if I didn't think you capable. You have done a year plus a summer of French Immersion. Have you ever heard the saying - use it or lose it?"
At this point I realize it's hopeless to argue.
"Rachel, look at the bright side. When you grow up, see how much your options expand by being fully bilingual, you'll look back and thank me for today."
That I rather doubt, however I have ceased to argue.
A few minutes later, Naomi sits down with the childrens' version of "Gulag Archipelago."
I flash a wicked smile, "consider yourself lucky she gave the English version and not the Russian original."
"Smart ass," Naomi says, sticking out her tongue, "at least you get something with some life in it. I've heard this thing is as deadly dull as oatmeal."
As we walk home, Naomi says, in a depressed tone, "hey look Rachel, I know I promised to give you the blow-by-blow account (pardon the pun) of my interview with that silly guidance counsellor. Can we leave it til a later time? I just can't manage now."
"Ye-ah, I hear you, bigtime. What on earth are your parents gonna say when they find out the books we got?"
She pulls a sour face, "they'd be proud, real proud. A sign we're growing up."
I groan inwardly, wondering, not for the first time, whether adulthood is truly all it is cracked up to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home