afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sharon 2

Megan and Cindi, two girls I knew in high school, walk in. They're a sight. Cindi has on a spiked dog collar, is led on a leash. Both are shaved bald, with a variety of facial piercings sporting safety pins. Both are in sweat suits with Rainbow Flag stripes.
Each gets a decadent pastry and one of those fancy coffees with lotsa whipped cream. But then, with the look they aim for, calories don't matter.
As the resta the place acts like they don't see them, I wave cheerfully. Two reasons. One, they're usually good for a chuckle. Two, with the mess I make of life, I have no right to judge others.
Megan flashes a wicked smile, "so Sharon, saw Saturday's paper?"
"Oh yes."
"Diss-gusting."
"Certainly was."
"Now you see Sharon, the gay guys have infiltrated the editorial staff at the paper. They use their inside influence to get lotsa publicity."
"I hardly think the riot is good for their cause."
She looks at me, evaluating, then smiles, "now if a lesbian had said that, I'd likely punch her in the nose. However, you being a straight, are entitled to a certain amount of bafflement. Let me clarify, there is no such thing as bad publicity. It all contributes to the visibility of their cause."
Cindi jumps in, "and the lesbians of course are soooo invisible," giggle, "with the exception of a few of us. Think of an analogy, Sharon. Gay is a glacier, ice and snow glittering in the sun. Lesbian is an iceberg, most of its weight invisible, under water."
"I'd never thought of that, but yes that seems accurate."
Cindi laughs, "and given your record in finding guys, don't you think it's about time you switched teams?"
"Nah, not my style. Maybe go become a hermit in the forest."
We all laugh.
Megan smiles uneasily, "ok now, I'm gonna do something I don't usually do. Friends are few and far between, I never like to risk losing one. Still, it must be said, for your own good."
I tense, sensing what's coming.
"Now if you were just a little bit less of a forbidding type person, you'd have heard and lots sooner. There's a reason no one told you, you have the reputation of shooting the messenger."
I ponder for a moment, then shrug, no point getting huffy, losing two friends. Quietly I reply, "I was already half ways to figgering that myself. So, I guess I should thank you. Ah, by the way, how many know of Mr Wonderful and his double life?"
"Probably every gay and lesbian in town plus half the straights. Count on getting laughed at, a lot."
"I ah well ah"
"Now you wouldn't know to spot faces, but the editor of the gay monthly was in that crowd. Rumor has it he's planning a headliner article on what happens when you get suddenly outed. Which of course wouldn't affect mosta those people."
I groan aloud.
"Still, look at it in perspective. It's not like his #1 goal is to embarrass you. His main message up on that soapbox is simply be gay openly and don't waste your own and everyone else's time. Purely by accident you get pride of place in the story, pardon the pun."
"I ah well ah"
Within a couple days, the Saturday paper is old hat. Ribald comments dry up.
With a good bit of tension and a shaking hand, I pull the free gay monthly outa the street box. Horrid, right there on the front page is my very own photo.
And yet, nothing happens. Days go by, a week then two, yet no one says anything.
So, what happened? My guess would be no one bothers with what the tedious editor might say on this or any other topic. The reason they like the paper is photos, of S&M night, the tattoo contest, the riot, drag night and so forth. Lotsa photo gazers, no real readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home