afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Monday, November 22, 2004

Time Corps 26

Speaking privately, Parvana starts, "Indira, level with me. That was one expensive aircraft, by anyone's reckoning. You the only passenger, implies you are important in the scheme of things."
Breezily I reply, "rank of Lt, same as you."
"I see, that makes it even more of a paradox. Not your ordinary Lt who hasta pass in every parking receipt for a dollar. No, elite unit. Which?"
"Time Corps."
"So, why would the neo-Nazis prefer you dead?"
I relate my on-again off-again role of Israel research.
She gasps, "I don't believe it. You - you were da** well gonna write nice things about Jews. Don't you know what they've become?"
"Immaterial. I was assigned to research one slice of history, 1948 to 1958. What happens after, means squat."
By now we've long since locked eyes. She drops her gaze first, "right, I guess that's how history is. Would be the height of insanity to dump you for simply following orders, writing the story. And to be honest, yes they were pretty decent folks in those days. So, still friends?"
"Sure."
"Be honest Indira, were you important enough the neo-Nazis would come searching?"
"Very unlikely. I'm stranded in time, no means of ever getting back. I could have been thrown forward or backward in time by the impact of the crash, and that's minutes, days, years, even centuries we're talking. If they knew exactly where I was, might be different, go for a hit. But if they knew that, they'd have long since done it, I've been here for months. But why would they waste precious resources searching for me? Use em on someone still perceived to be a threat."
"Yeah, guess you are right. Next problem, we need a cover story to waltz you past our CO."
"Why not just the truth?"
"Only part of the truth Indira. See she's such a Jew-hater she'd shoot you on the spot. So, in your humble opinion, the crash was an engine malf, metal fatigue, aggravated by the extreme cold. Everything else - you can tell her."
"I would not actually be lying. Either way, it's just my opinion, no proof."
"Go-od, you'll do great. Still we may be worried over nothing. They are so drastically short of English teachers, rarely find native speaker ability. I rather suspect she'll go with the theory of 'I ask no questions, you don't hafta lie'."
"I hope so."

Fatima proves easier to deal with by far. Simply wraps her arms around me in that easy confident manner that tells me her world is going ok, "wow mum, I just had no idea. I'm so glad I've got you, not just anyone else."
"Fatima dear, truth is I'm happier with you than I was before."
"That's so sweet mum. Yes I know once buildings are put up and you move in with Parvana, I'll hafta grow up, sleep in my own bed. But not for now mum, it's just you and me."
I start to cry a little. My baby is growing up.

We take up station, await the arrival of the plane. CO disembarks with several members and mini-jeeps.
Parvana introduces me and Fatima, suggests CO might want to hire me as English teacher.
She looks me straight in the eye, "I'm a busy person. Talk to me in English for ten minutes and then I'll know. Any topic you choose."
I tell her of the history of New France circa 1700.
She smiles broadly, "you're hired! Best English I've heard in ages! Wish I had more time to be a history buff - pressures of command."
"Thank you so very much ma'am, I'll do my best."
"During the interview, it was 'ma'am'. Now you're a member, call me Fereshta. Hop in, bring your daughter, let's go take a look at the sites you and Parvana found."
Parvana blushes, "ah well she found em, not me."
Fereshta grins, "I knew that, you would not know a contour line if it bit your butt. So Indira, which grade will we enroll Fatima in?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home