afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Rachel 6

Mrs Tendler is always home quite early, being a stockbroker in a financial building downtown. Here in Victoria we're three hours behind Toronto, and her hours of work are set by the Toronto Stock Exchange.
She breezes in just as we're unpacking school stuff.
"What's this?" she asks, picking up Naomi's book and mine.
"Our book reports Mum," Naomi replies utterly deadpan.
"I see, and what is your opinion of this?"
"Come on Mum, we're only ten, shouldn't hafta read this heavy."
"You mean heavy in language usage, heavy in content or both?"
"Both."
Mrs Tendler turns to me, "and your view Rachel?"
First, I may as well be honest. Second, I have a duty to back my friend. "Ma'am, if I were you, I'd be sending a letter of protest. First to the teacher, if that fails to deliver, then to the principal."
She smiles, obviously warming up to debate, "ah ha, you do have opinions after all. So, let's hear them, why should I be protesting?"
"First, we know the moral reputation of Quebec, to be polite, somewhat looser than English Canada." I open the book, show her the Quebec endorsement, "now just because Quebec accepts this as suitable for children, no proof the rest of Canada would."
She now has the look that proclaims she's hugely enjoying this, "I see, and why would the rest of Canada object? Wild perverted sex?"
"Well ah no, Teacher said the sex content had been removed."
"All right, why then do you object to the book on moral grounds?"
"There's murder in it."
She actually rolls her eyes. Then, recovering her composure, "tell me Rachel, with your Mum having so many problems, has she ever got around to explaining the importance of history?"
"Ah well no, mostly she just tells me what chores to do."
"And she doesn't ask much about school?"
"No."
"Rachel, out there in the goy world, they have things considerably easier. Far less social pressure to be charitable; leaves them more money to indulge themselves. Far less pressure to be involved in political action; leaves them more time for their hobbies. Now, unless you plan on joining them, you'll have to fit into our world. It is the duty of every adult Jew to fully understand history. Any right wing resurgence is to be dealt with politically, not ignored. I agree with your teacher, you must read the book."
I groan inwardly, then counterattack. Pointing to Gulag Archipelago, I say, "this isn't Jewish history."
She laughs, "ah ha, thinking of being a lawyer when you grow up? Rachel, listen, any group doing murder, even if it involves other groups, always sooner or later decides to include Jews, if any are available. So yes, Naomi must read the book."
Naomi's look says told-you-so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home