afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sharon 3

Call Display shows it's Naomi. For just a moment, I hesitate. When did she ever do anything but laugh at me or snoot me out?
But then, she does that stuff in person, doesn't bother to call. If it's a call, it's probably news.
I answer on the third ring, my hello coming across as too nervous.
In not even a smart ass tone, she asks, "have you read today's paper?"
"No, I only get it once a week, for TV listings."
"Hafta run right now, Sharon, but read it!!"
We-ell, there's been a fatal stabbing at the prison, drug smuggler BF doing the embezzler.
Our ever-looking-for-a-scandal-story reporter asked authorities if the dispute was over me.
The Warden's reply, "you never really know what people are thinking, in the background. However, one staff member and a half dozen inmates witnessed it. All have stated, under oath, that it was over refusal to give up a pingpong table in a timely manner."
I stare out the window, lost in thought, tires spinning but not finding traction.
And then it seems so obvious. There is now one roach less in the world. Another roach has absented himself from the outside world for a longer period of time. Hey, what's not to like about that?
Still, no more procrastination, dial Jewish Family Services today and book an appointment. And so I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home