afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Dark Chronicles of Nooria 21

Lt continues, "you future officers are gonna have lots of time chatting with each other. May as well, learn now. One rule, can't break up into small groups. Other than that, any topic you like. I will only intervene if it leads to fisticuffs."
Tasmina grins sheepishly, "anyone read any good books lately?"
Groan, boos.
After several false starts, they get going on Bollywood movies. I've never seen one, but after the conversation, I'd sure like to try.

I'm definitely getting ticked with Shauzia. When she was a femme, did good hairstyles. Now she's viewed as butch, couldn't care less, sloppy. Still, she expects me to look nice and has taught me over a dozen different styles.
Next patrol I try asking Nilofar about this. Her look says, "kid, that's the stupidest question I've heard in a donkey's age." Her voice is a little more kind, "Nooria, forget about all that. More of you than of her. Competition you see. Step on her too hard, it's easier for her to find someone else than for you."
"But that's ridiculous, that's ..."
"Nooria, two ways around it. Find someone smaller or outgrow her."
"But that's not fair."
"Nooria my friend, you just are not paying attention. Have you seen even one ounce of evidence to show life itself is fair?"
I blush.
Nilofar takes my hand, "come on, don't shoot the messenger."
"Sorry, but at least I know."

It gets worse. When we're in the mess, Shauzia expects me to fetch tea refills for her and me. This time I opt to ask Arifa, who rolls her eyes, "look around Nooria. Isn't everyone else doing the same? How do you expect to hold onto her if you don't play by the rules?"
"But that's unfair."
"Nooria last I looked, there is nothing special about you. Not rich or famous or good-looking. Do you really think you deserve some sort of exemption?"
I blush.
"Your choice, play by the rules or learn to like being alone."
By now I'm close to crying.
"Nooria, you've been in the members mess a lot. Aren't they doing the same as the girls? Fetching tea?"
"Yeah."
"And when you grow up and live in a Married Quarters unit, yes it'll be you dusting and sweeping. But at least you don't hafta shop for food or cook or wash dishes. So, you're better off than other women."
"If you put it like that."
"Nooria, God decides if you are man or woman, and what size. Just gotta live with it."
My fierce blush says it all.
"Oh ho," she says quietly, "hit the nail on the head. Feel cheated you aren't a guy."
I nod.
"Get over it. Lotta girls in the world would happily trade places with you."
I can't help it, I'm crying, sobbing uncontrollably. Arifa hugs me tight throughout. After, as she wipes my eyes, "well now, just proved you are human after all. Not a robot or space alien. So you do have some feeling, can connect with it. I'm proud of you, come a long ways here."
I ponder that, she's right.

Lt has that sinister smile, "right, everyone ready for the term break? One whole week of goofing off, one whole week of relax."
Tasmina replies cheekily, "they gonna give us two? One to goof off, one to relax?"
"We have a smart-aleck. Sorry, have to do both in the same week. Everyone except this class of course. We're going camping for a week."
This sets off a firestorm of protest, everything but four-letter words.
As it dies out, Lt grins, "noticed a funny thing. Everyone except Nooria was protesting."
Cries of "traitor".
Lt continues, "so Nooria, why weren't you?"
"Perhaps ma'am, I simply realize the futility. You're gonna get your way anyway, why bother?"
"That certainly doesn't stop the others. So Nooria, your opinion of the great outdoors?"
"Ma'am, I like being outside, like going on patrol."
"What Nooria fails to elaborate on, I will. Nothing bonds like shared misery. So your choice, a week of camping as a group, or a week of KP (Kitchen Police) as a group? Hands up, all who prefer KP?" Not one hand. "There you have it, democracy rules, we go camping."
Various comments on Soviet election methodology.

Bowing to the inevitable, I graciously am fetching Shauzia's tea. This counts for little when it all hits the fan.
"How dare they?" she asserts, "they have no business dragging people on camping trips. Should invite each girl's Friend along or else make it optional."
Drily I reply, "trip is CO's orders. Perhaps you'd care to share your thoughts with her? Send her a memo maybe?"
"Nah, go ahead. But is isn't fair. You always get the macho stuff and I'm the butch."
I could comment, but why bother? More trouble than it's worth.

We're issued blankets, tents, cooking gear. Jeeps will haul us out and back. Two adults, our Lt and one other Lt, to supervise.
The real reason I'd dreaded this is grownups like to schedule, regiment you to death.
Surprise, we get there and Lt explains the rules. Must be together as a group at all times. Other than that, anything we like.
We're camped near the ocean, but not permitted to swim, too cold and dangerous. We gather mussels for cookups, driftwood for campfires. Walks. Talk philosophy and tell stories.
It's a magnificent time and every one of us is disappointed when the jeeps come to retrieve us.
As I ride back, listen to the friendly banter, I realize the CO's decision paid off. We started as a group who little in common other than the fact our names were selected. Somewhere during the week, we ended up becoming friends.

But then it's back to the real world, or rather our forgotten little corner of it, a world of fetching tea and wrestling with Dari papers.
Shauzia very pointedly passes me her mug. Tasmina rolls her eyes. It's hard not to laugh, but I manage.
As Shauzia and I walk back to B14, she does her stormtrooper routine, "you and that girl! You did something! Why you ..."
"Shut up. Two adults, 2 tents, 6 of us in each tent. Care to call one of the Lt a liar?"
"Hey lighten up Nooria."
"Don't you dare go like that! You started it! Besides, how do I know what you were doing? You were a lot more free to wander than I was."
She grabs me and starts vigorous kissing. "So much fun to make up after."

Arifa sits back, rubs her eyes, "what absolute dreck! Load of nonsense!"
"How so?" a girl asks.
"This science fiction book. Seems the main heroine just jumps in and takes over someone's body."
"So, what's unusual about that? You have heard of possession?"
"No, this isn't a demonic possession. See she takes over from someone near dead, does a better job. But this just won't wash, after all she's a foreigner. How on earth would people be fooled by a foreigner?"
"Yeah, seems far-fetched."
Arifa continues, "I mean come on, who's the strangest person in B14?"
"Nooria of course."
"Well even Nooria, goofy as she is, no one would ever take her for a foreigner."
The girl laughs, "but isn't a murder mystery crazy? Or one of those sappy romances? Isn't all of literature utter nonsense?"
"Nice try, kid. Do your homework, whether you like literature or not."
They both laugh.
The girl turns to me, "so what do you think of lit?"
"Lit and comp will be the death of me. If I ever jump offa cliff, it'll be because of them. I'd rather read history."
She frowns, "ufff, even worse. Bet I know over a hundred girls here. Not one, not one likes history. All go ufff, ufff."
"All? Every one?"
She smiles earnestly, "grownups had it easy. Learned history when there was a lot less of it. Every year, just more and more. Twenty years from now, those books'll weigh 30 pounds."
I laugh, "that will collapse those flimsy desks."
"You like all the wrong stuff, math, history. Maybe you're a space alien. Or a demon."
"Or a vampire," I add helpfully, "you know I ain't a werewolf or you'd have seen the fur by now."
"Cool, a vampire. We're all cannibals anyway, why not vampires too? Want to bite me?"
"Nah. My girlfriend, she would get mega-jealous."
She looks at me a long moment, "now I know why you're so wierd. You ate more bodies than the rest of us combined. Lead poisoning. Maybe it's why we're all so crazy."
"Cheerful thought."
"So why didn't you just jump offa mountain?"
I groan, "don't even know."
"Same as me, don't know. And don't say by the grace of God. You, me, everyone here, we're way outside of God's filing cabinet. Legion of the Damned, that's us."
"Watch your language," Arifa asserts.
"Sor-ry."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home