afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Nuremberg Tour 27

As Sarge brings rationality to the combatants, everyone stands around taking in the show. Purely by chance, Sarah and I are the ones nearest to the front door.
A tap on my shoulder causes me to halfway turn. As my eyes focus on the Lt insignia and not the face, a Guyanese accent addresses me, "sorry to interupt. Could you direct me to the CO's office please?"
I focus on the face. It's Indira, from school days in Rose Hall. As I recall, I haven't seen her since age twelve, when her family emigrated to Canada.
"Recognize me?" I ask cheerfully.
She reaches out, takes off my beret, looks, then gasps, "it's you." Then her glance catches the name tag "Goldberg". She positively gushes, "you don't have your hair Guyanese length anymore. Other than that, you haven't changed a bit."
And now suddenly I feel embarrassed for her. She's like that, all friendly and nice, but no concept of how often she verbally shoots herself in the foot. I mean come on, how cruel can you get? For one woman (well built herself) to tell another she hasn't changed since age twelve is pretty bad. Still, I don't get offended, I know how she is.
"I really gotta rush now, where is the CO's office?"
I point, "up that staircase, second door on the left. Can't miss it, it's labelled."
As she leaves Sarah says, "who else other than our new replacement?"
"That would be my guess."
"I was watching your face when that happened. You were pretty hurt, but managed not to show it. How old were you exactly when she saw you last?"
My voice is a little huskier than I'd like, "twelve."
"So that b**** was calling you a twelve year old girl. Why that is ..."
"Chill, she's not like that. Not cruel, just talks without thinking, gets into trouble."
"Considering how antsy all these draftees are here, she's gonna hafta enrol in Tact 101 courses pronto or end up in big trouble over there."
"Chill, all the time she patrols around, post to post, she's in the company of Sarge. Sarge will keep her sensible."
"I sure hope so. We already got enough people problems as it is."
I groan inwardly. I don't dislike Indira at all, in fact I actually like her. It's just, well, we could have met under better circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home