afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Nuremberg Tour 34

My daily walk to the store to buy Bild plus whatever other purchase has some side benefits. See, now I'm the only one who can keep these people up to date with news. I read them funny or interesting or earth shaking stories. Just so, we watch German news on TV and I give them the commentary.
Several of the people here are into causing problems, arguing with Farzana. In theory, they could come after me too, but nobody does. Everyone seems to like me for my news contribution.
Another benefit is that it allows me to do my share of conversation. So what? Well, given what a total flop and failure my own life has been, it's nicer to talk news than to have to tell them anything about me.
I soon see where things are headed with Frau Weber, the storekeep. It's obvious she views me as her substitute granddaughter. It's a long day, lot more time just waiting around or cleaning than dealing with customers. So, we usually talk anywhere from fifteen minutes to thirty.
As our friendship deepens, I find myself being totally honest with her. Upbringing, discovering the real father, the scandal with Ariel. She's rather upset that people are still writing on such themes. However, she's quite pleased when I tell her how I plan to finish the book. See I actually have a very detailed map of Jerusalem done in 1948. I know everything like street names, which slope in which direction, where battles were fought. I plan on setting all of my characters into the Siege of Jerusalem, covering all of the time until the clandestine road ended up relieving the siege. I won't use real names of combatants of course (where this is known), I'll use character names. Everything else, I plan to be as faithful as possible to the actual historical records.
For her part she tells me much of the history of this region. Everything is so totally down that people feel not even German anymore. It's like the Federal Government has abandoned them. Any medical procedure more complicated than first aid means going to Nuremberg. It's difficult to do as there is no bus service and almost no one can afford vehicles here.
It's a dying area, only the business and social life with the Canadian soldiers keeps it semi alive. No question she's not exagerating. Absolutely everyone I meet here, almost all elderly, are very pleasant and cheerful. Yes, they can all read the name tag, but no one seems to notice or care. It's as if Jewish is irrelevent to these people, no different than being right or left handed, just one more trait.
Indira and Sarge come to visit with the jeep on average twice a week. No fixed day or time schedule. One could suspect that they're checking to make sure we haven't defected en masse to the neoCommies. More likely they're checking we haven't gone stir crazy and killed off each other. They bring mail and perishable food items. (Our non perishable foods arrive by truck once a month, to no fixed schedule.)
It's easy to see what Sarge is up to. Simply never allows Indira to wander alone, is always there with her. Whenever Indira looks like she's about to catch foot-in-mouth disease again, Sarge always manages to head it off at the pass.
Since Indira never gets the chance to ruffle any feathers, she's actually well liked. She is after all a friendly and kind person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home