afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Nuremberg Tour 30

I pass a pleasant night in the plane. The seat reclines by two notches, allowing me ample room to stretch out, sleep comfortably. I'm one of the very few, most are too tall and/or too hefty to position properly.
Consequently, the unit arrives in Germany tired, in a foul mood. We're driven, in a fleet of buses normally used for school kids, to a grassy park. In ancient times, this was the moat, around the castle in Nuremberg.
There's a barbecue for us. Your choice of either beef or pork smokie sausage, in a Kaiser bun and either coffee or non-alcoholic cold drink.
The servers are jovial and I see the unit mood improve. Nobody ahead of me in line gets any hassle from them. Farzana, immediately in front of me, chooses beef and nary an eyebrow is raised.
When I choose beef, the server looks at me in a nasty manner, commences a tirade in German, about how I should act like a real German and opt for pork. The others join in.
Sheepishly, I take the proferred beef smokie, spread mustard.
Immediately behind me, Heidi encounters the same reaction. She snorts, delivers a vigourous reply. Surely they cannot expect, with the number of centuries people of the Diaspora have been gone, that they will keep all the Old Country ways.
They look shy and sheepish, apologize to her.
As she joins me at the condiment rack, she grins, points to the shoulder bag which obscures my name tag. With a gentle grin, "well, least it wasn't anti-Semitic, they couldn't see this. Merely your failure to live up to their expectations as a real German."
Somehow I feel relieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home