afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Nuremberg Tour 28

I'm one of the very few non-smokers in our unit. There are cultural reasons for that, growing up in Guyana. There, a man is more or less expected to confine himself to a ten-pack per week and the tolerance for women is zero. In fact, it was outside Toronto Airport that I first saw women smoking; and was shocked.
Among Canadian men, the portion is one quarter being light smokers (25 or less per week); 3/4 non-smokers. A heavy smoker who was actually raised in Canada is a rarity; though some first generation male immigrants indulge.
Among Canadian women, the portion is 1/4 heavy, 3/4 light and almost no total abstainers, except for foreign raised women. Among Canadian Native women, the portions are reversed: 3/4 heavy and 1/4 light.
Mary, from the Lilac Valley Indian Reserve, approaches me. She definitely gives off an aura of stale tobacco. "Lance, do me a favor."
"I've told you before, it's first name, like everyone else, call me Rachel."
"Ok Lance, I mean Rachel. Look, I better send a couple letters before we go. Write for me please."
"Ok."
The first letter is rather sedate, almost boring, going to her mother. The second, rather steamy, going to her boyfriend. By the time I've finished writing this, I'm blushing a little more than I would like.
"Why do you ask me to write stuff like this? Surely, one of the others?"
"Rachel, there's a reason I'd never dare ask anyone else. You see, everyone else would laugh at me, you don't, you just blush."
"Go on."
"No, it's true. All have far more knowledge of kink than me, just laugh at stuff like this. You don't. But you watch, once I hang around them enough, I'll learn lots more too."
I groan inwardly. Still, as a L/Cpl or M/Cpl, it's sort of your duty to help out with things like this. I find myself wondering why the Army doesn't exempt from draft those below a certain education level. Still, in a way, that would be the camel's nose in the tent. Once you make your first exception to the lottery principle, soon there will more. History provides a good example when it gets out of hand. During the Viet Nam epoch, the draft was largely unfair to Blacks. Here, well whoever you are, your odds are equal. So, though the draft may be a pain in the butt, at least it's an equal, non-discriminatory pain in the butt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home