afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Nava 5

Eager to change the topic to save me embarrassment, Naomi says, "tell me, ever run into problems, an Irishman in the British Army?"
"Oh yeah, that's why you wear civvies going home on leave. Everyone and his dog says I shouldn't aid the Brits. I reply when the morons in Dublin create sufficient jobs in my area, I'll stop."
"That should shut them up."
"That and the para look that scared the bejaysus outa Rick."
She laughs, "I like you, good sense of humor. My question meant more with Brit colleagues."
"Truly the last of an Irishman's worries. Not enough Brits join, yet they don't wish to start a draft. Any Irishman who qualifies is more than welcome."
"Ever run into the Col Blimp sort of officer?"
"You watch too many movies. The few of them around surround themselves with Sgt's of similar personality. The vast majority, open to new ideas and information, seek similar Sgt's."
Comprehension washes over her, "ah ha, now I understand, suppose Col Blimp had gone through the window instead of you. I could find it much more difficult dealing with you."
I laugh, "understatement of the year."
"At first Nava, I stuck with you out of sense of duty. Gone way beyond that, now I see you as a real friend."
I'm touched, "why thank you. Tell me, your Mum pester you about going to Israel between high school and university?"
Dry look, "not! She says that's only for people looking for status."
"Ah ye-ah, mine sort of indicated that."
She leans forward, "your promise, what I tell you, you don't tell a soul?"
"You have my word."
"I let her rattle on about whatever. I either ignore it or vaguely agree or disagree, so guess my real plan."
"Come on, don't think you can snow a Sgt. Once you graduate, gonna leave town, claim there are no 'real' jobs in a city this size. Once you get wherever, be totally secular."
Crestfallen look, "I really give away that many clues?"
I nod.
"I wonder, if my Mum can pick up the clues as easy?"
"Rather doubt it. Anything, dope, vandalism, sex, parents are always dead last to know."
She nods, "yeah, from what I hear. Your Mum made noise about summer camp?"
My heart flip flops. The thought of being incarcerated with all those tedious
"Not to worry," she continues, "too late this year anyhow. I'm guessing your Mum didn't have sufficient money, else she'd be pushing it."
I breathe a silent sigh of relief.
Wildly wicked grin, "you'll never guess how I dodged it?"
"I give up."
"Told her, as a Jew, I find the words 'camp' and 'camping' totally repulsive."
"Ah the historical allusion, how'd she take that?"
"I detect a note of judgmentalism there Nava."
"I'm sorry."
"How else can she take it? She uses it on me, surely I'll use it back."
"I see, so I should keep that line as an absolute last resort."
"Nava, don't worry none. See years ago, was so cheap, everyone who had parents above the rank of dishwasher had to face the bogeyman sooner or later. Now, become so expensive, most of the middle class can't afford."
It dawns on me, "isn't that a contradiction in terms? I've heard there's a strong percentage correlation between attending a Jewish summer camp and behavior later in life. Such as how observant, even basics like how many marry out."
"So, to sum up Nava, it's like drilling a hole in the bottom of their own ship."
"Naomi, did you realize you used 'their'? More careful talk would be 'our'. Between you and me, I couldn't care less, we're friends. But think of your Mum picking up clues."
Blush, "point well taken, thanks Nava. And now I fire the torpedo into your ridiculous argument. You haven't twigged on yet, all they really want as members is the very prosperous."
This shocks me, where on earth do ten year olds get that cynical? Three quarters of Brit Army Sgt's aren't that cynical. Uneasily I reply, "let's just say I will think on that more later."
"You do that Nava. Also give some thought to whether you should use 'their' or 'our."
"Still Naomi I find it curious. Now take the super rich, that cuts a lot of ice on things like donations to projects in Israel or reroofing of the synagogue. Some things you need numbers for. Take politics for example, stuff in the Parliament or Legislature. What counts there is how many voting age supporters you can point to. And I understand Muslims aren't into alienating their less prosperous members."
"I caught you, admitting you're a Jew after all, arguing on their side."
"Hey wait a minute. Am I not allowed to speak in the sense of a reporter? Of a neutral observer? Just because I say politics exists, doesn't mean I've picked sides, or will."
The bell rings. Naomi grins, "this is fabulous, much better than the original Nava. Resume our duel at recess?"
"You're on."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home