afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Rachel 9

After Sunday dinner we're sitting relaxed. Deadpan look Mr Tendler says, "girls, I meant to ask, was it really as bad as you thought it would be?"
Naomi doesn't hesitate, "worse and then a lot more."
"And you Rachel?"
"Truth is, it was an horrendous experience. But not as bad as I'd expected."
"Ah, so have either of you heard of the concept of 20/80?"
"Oh yes," I reply.
He grins, "don't just say yes, tell us what you've heard."
"Wholesalers claim 80% of their sales come from the best 20% of customers. Teachers claim 80% of trouble comes from the worst 20% of students."
"So tell me Rachel, do you think 80/20 could be applied to a student's work?"
"In a sort of way. The first 80% of information is easy to take in. It gets a lot harder as you go, sifting more repetition, finding less new stuff."
He positively beams, "I just could not have said it better myself. So girls, think of this. As long as you aren't aiming for some speciality like history prof or working for the Canadian Jewish Congress, why not stop at 80%? No one expects the lay person, the ordinary citizen to know everything."
Comprehension washes over Naomi, "you mean Dad, it's nowhere near as hard being a Jew as some make it out to be?"
"Bingo honey, can't let excess reading interfere with job or family."
"But you Dad, how is it you read things like A Suitable Boy?"
"Honey, I just have to look around me, see how much problem obsession causes. Better to balance things off with a bit of fun reading."
"But of course Dad, there are people you wouldn't admit that to."
He laughs.
Mrs Tendler turns to me, "so Rachel, what exactly do you think of Maxmilien Aue?"
"We-ell, it would be easy to hate him. But, look at his upbringing, the historical times, he could actually have been worse."
"I must have missed that part, enlighten me."
"During his research, he was actually struggling to get the daily ration increased in concentration camps. Not of course out of any sense of charity, out of a desire to get better life expectancy and more production. And yes, he failed in this due to bureaucratic inertia. But still, he does stop short of being 100% evil."
She grins, "so, plan on reading the adult version when you grow up?"
"Not likely, I do buy into the 80/20 concept."
"Very good, many people end up becoming tedious, pedantic," flashes a wicked smile, "including the author in the full 900 page original."
And now we all laugh.
As it dies down, I ask, "Mr Tendler, I heard you laughing too. I quote 'greatest fictional character ever created' and 'second best depiction of time and place ever done'. So how then can he seem 'tedious pedantic' to you?"
Easy laugh, "ever run across the term 'overkill'?"
"You mean, originally applied to nuclear bombs?"
"Yes, well he did succeed in overkilling some 99% of his readers."

We-ell, the nightmares faded after two weeks. Mostly anyhow.
And the A- on the book report was sure nice, better than I usually get for that stuff.
I reflect that being a Jew and being innoculated with history is roughly akin to preparing for tropical travel, with injections. Some prefer two dozen needles which barely puncture the skin. Others, don't mind the one big bicycle pump and get it outa the way.
I'm prepared to let the whole matter drop, but the world isn't. You see, at school I have acquired a gargantuan status symbol.
Since there is no English childrens' version, in these kids' eyes, it's like I've read Kama Sutra or such.
This matter comes to a head when Nathan transfers to our school into the other Grade 4 class.
He haunts me for days, endlessly asking about the book. Naomi thinks he is working up enough nerve to be my boyfriend, but I disagree. There is no romance in him, it's pure status seeking. And once he has learned the whole plot, he largely ignores me.
In due course, news comes. A cousin of Naomi's happens to be in the same after school Hebrew class as Nathan.
Nathan is parading around his knowledge, pretending to his buddies he's done the whole nine yards, reading the adult book.
I think the thing is a huge hoot; Naomi says I should be offended.
Oh come on, anyone like that, sooner or later they trip over themselves. As of the point those buddies catch wise it's just a lie, he can kiss goodbye to any status he's earned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home