afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Nava 2 novella of 2 schoolfriends

Next morning, Naomi shows to walk with me to school.
"Very nice scenery," I remark, "makes me think of England or Ireland."
"In many ways, you got the Cadillac. Victoria is the nicest climate in Canada, some cities experience minus 40 degrees. Safe neighborhood, well-to-do, not some blighted inner city. A Mum who is mostly ok, if a bit pushy. But I'm betting none of that stuff even registers with you, not at all. Still hung up on not being a guy anymore, right?"
"Ye-es."
"Friend, stop and think of how you really lucked out, even there. We're ten, gives us several years to figger it out, that's you and me both. Now, just imagine, right now, you were 16."
I groan aloud.
She smiles, "see, learning already."
"Truth is Naomi, I hated school first time around; can't even imagine seeing it again."
"Again, think of this, since school takes little or no effort, gives you time to do more important stuff, like figger out life."
As we arrive at the schoolground, a boy comes over. Sticks out his tongue, then, "ugly ugly ugly."
I grab his collar. My faces inches from his, I give him my best hate stare. "Sunshine you got five seconds to apologize, else I stick your schoolbag where the sun don't shine."
He apologizes profusely, then I let him go.
As he runs off, I laugh, tell Naomi, "that's how you handle it."
Sad smile, "fraid you and I are gonna hafta have a talk. Don't you realize, he likes you? Uh make that past tense, used to. Just too shy to come out and say."
I gasp, "Surely you're joking?"
"No, in fact he was the only one in school who did. But cheer up, maybe find someone when you get to junior high."
Naomi and I take our seats, side by side. My attention is caught by a tourist map of Belize on the wall. I imagine the teacher saw a different part of Belize than I did.
I'm brought back to the here and now by Naomi's light kick on my leg.
Teacher says, "come on now Nava, don't be shy. We all have to take a turn. Come up front."
I do.
She hands me a children's fiction book, points, "from here to there."
It's a very ordinary story, I have no idea how anyone is reacting as my eyes are on the text.
As I finish, look up, I'm surprised to see looks of absolute awe painted on all except Naomi.
Teacher says quietly, "very good Nava, you must have been practising."
I nod.
Kind smile, "big improvement. From here on, you get a turn every week, don't want you to lose that touch."
I sit.
"And now class, let's do math."
Everyone except me groans. Naomi's kick clues me in and I join in.
At recess time, Rick, the same boy, comes up to Naomi and me. Very awkward smile, "hey look Nava, I'm real sorry."
Ever helpful Naomi jumps in, "oh yes, Rick, Nava and I were talking. You see she's not herself, was sick all holiday. She wants to apologize too."
I catch her drift, smile, "Rick, I'm so sorry I came on like a storm trooper. You see, my Mum gave me heck and that was on my mind. I know you were only playing around."
Look of relief, "and is that teacher ever a bore in math!"
In no time, we're talking ok.
The bell rings, we start inside, him following me closely.
Teacher starts in on history, the era of Pierre Trudeau and its lasting impact, even to the present.
And gradually, I start to realize something. I am the recipient of great good fortune getting this gig. Gives me all the time in the world to figger stuff out. Just imagine I were, right now, a thirty year old employee of External Affairs. The world would be expecting a lot more outa me; maybe more than this imposter could provide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home