afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Rivka 5

I have several errands to do. By the time I return home, there's a voicemail from Naomi.
In as nasty a tone as I've ever heard her use, "what a ****ing liar you are! Missing the committee meeting over that so called officer meeting. I hardly think two minutes of business followed by endless S&M talk is a good use of the taxpayer dollar. And all you disgusting officers will collect a half day's pay off that."
(Wrong we collect zero and I'm out the price of brunch.)
"Now that I could even forgive. But what a traitorous swine you are! Everyone but everyone knows that Cabinet Minister is Jewish. I mean surely you could have used some OTHER story."
(Oy!)
"We've decided to ostracize you, hell will freeze over before any of us talk to you again."
Slam!
I stare out the window lost in thought. They weren't real friends but all I had left. One misunderstanding or another has peeled away my previous supply of friends.
I could call her, try to tell her it was just a made up story at random. Pointless, she'd never believe me.
The phone rings, Ingrid the female Capt. Uneasy tone, "just thought I'd warn you, better deep six that story, don't tell anyone else."
"I ah well ah"
"Hey look, it that Minister had been white, I'd have happily given them the name. But just ponder for a moment on who you are now. Can you imagine the ructions if officers of Her Majesty publicly trash the only Black Minister?"
"Ye-ah, we would soooo come across as racist."
"Word to the wise. Anyhow I'm dying to know, was it Wolfe or Montcalm?"
"Wolfe of course."
"Ah ha, exactly as I suspected, just didn't have enough clues. See you next meeting."
I hang up in bewilderment. Is it even within the bounds of the possible that two men have the exact same fantasy? Then I laugh at myself, they compare notes on cars and computers, so why not this? One learned from the other, tried it and liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home