afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Tzeporah 15

I soon soften in my views on the matter. There are of course two limiting factors which would slow Tzeporah down in any inclination to excess travel: money and the amount of vacation time she has available. So, if I hafta go work three months each year to pay my share, who cares?
Upon return to Canada, I continue on with the reading list I got from Karen. Since I am not faculty or staff or student, I cannot get a borrowing card, but must read in university library.
A lot of this stuff is quite shaking, and I find I must consult by phone with Karen.
Tzeporah gets a huge shock, her department is downsizing and she is placed on one year of notice, given priority rights to use elsewhere in the public service. Initial response to this is not good, no one actually spending money is hiring. Only gargantuan Revenue keeps taking in people. While her risk of being unemployed is quite low, her risk of suffering a substantial downturn in quality is huge, given Revenue's bad reputation.
Since I'm at the library most weekdays, I fall into the pattern of spending a few minutes perusing the Globe and Mail, Canada's only truly national newspaper.
It's a front page item, a leak from External Affairs. There is a quasi secret government project called the Jerusalem List, text of memo given.
At first of course, the government even denies it exists. Once handwriting experts confirm the validity of signatures of both External Affairs Minister and National Safety Minister, they backpedal and admit that yes, it does exist.
As days proceed and question period in Parliament gets more and more embarrassing, they finally assert that it has been invoked only four times since inception. Three of the people are now dead.
This of course heightens the media and Parliamentary circus as everyone wishes to know who that person might be.
The left steadfastly asserts it is a massive violation of human rights and the right, that the person got off easy, should have been charged with something or other.
Eventually the newspaper goes to court, to obtain an order for release of name. After several days of closed door session, they issue a remarkable statement.
Archival and photo experts have pored over this diligently. They are convinced odds are 1/3 that the Canadian man on the Jerusalem List is really who he is alleged to be and 2/3 that he is the two year younger brother.
Accordingly, the name will not be released.
Curious. I have neither brother or sister, so who? Of course, they are referring to my two year older first cousin and his younger brother of my same age. The younger lad and I were in the same class, and close enough in appearance we were sometimes confused.
Calling up internet archives, I realize they have absolutely nothing on me. Even in they tried to prove I was the older lad, it's a lot less serious matter.
As to who I really was, they have not one iota of clue. My relief is enormous, as is Tzeporah's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home