afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Nava 6

As teacher drones on about some triviality, my mind spins. As of the point you join the British Army, you are simply an Irishman in a Brit suit. Once you first come under fire for real, you become two people. You're still an Irishman, don't lose that. But now you've graduated, become a real Brit, in the eyes of yourself and your comrades.
Is the same mechanism at work here? Does fighting about Judaism make you more of a Jew? At this point, it would be hard to argue that I even qualify, yet look at my reaction to Naomi, when I felt she was committing sacrilege.
Then I realize, whatever Naomi says may be unimportant to me, but vitally so to her. After all, how do you become a boxer if you can't find a sparring partner? Do not two Jews learn Torah better by arguing it after reading? How good a soldier would you be, if your training had not included live fire exercises?
So, without me, or to be more accurate someone like me, Naomi doesn't have a chance to mature. I have a responsiblity to her, to provide approximately equal opposition and forego using the big guns of adulthood in argument.
Recess time, Naomi flashes a wicked smile, "Sarge, you're smart, but nowhere near as well-informed as you'd like to believe."
Obvious she's trying to provoke me, I just grin, "how so?"
"Your argument has one fatal flaw, that is two-speed Judaism. For the very well to do, the full meal deal, hang out with others of their kind, without having to put up with tiresome riffraff. And yet, as you so capably point out, there exists the need for a periodic email blitz. That's where that big data base comes from, can be relied to write to their MP."
I grin, "did anyone ever tell you you're supposed to make it last? No point leading with the nukes. Could have danced me in a merry circle, then KO'd me? Have you no sense of fun? Of sadism?"
By now, we're both laughing.
She says, "to paraphrase you, you are now surrendering?"
I nod.
"For my next argument," she grins, "I will prove to you how sexist Judaism really is."
"I see and who among the religions is fit to cast that first stone? Certainly not Muslims, they're even worse. Most of the Christian denominations are pretty bad. Hindus, Buddhists, join in enthusiastically on that. So, you name a good example."
"Caught you again, oh yes, I did. I attack Judaism, you defend, knee jerk reaction. Gotta grow up Nava, look at facts."
I counterattack, "Ok then, let's look at Muslims and Christians. One could argue that they have a lot less experience, less time to work out the kinks. Judaism on the other hand, has a lot more centuries, so is more to blame if it fails to deliver."
A look of pre-combat joy comes over her, "oh yeah, right on. So you can switch back and forth, and better than the original Nava did."
I nod.
"So then Nava, just who exactly are you to criticise Judaism? I have more seniority, therefore I have more right to criticize."
"Is that a fact now? Last I checked, Nava was two days older than Naomi? You aren't saying, you caught up? Even passed her?"
She concedes, "ok, that part is a bit confused. We won't use the argument of seniority on each other. Now back to the argument on sexism..."
Rick walks by, cheerful tone, "is that all you two do, argue with each other?"
I give a cheeky smile, "you should be happy we do."
Perplexed look, "why?"
"Well you see, everyone only has so much argument inside. More I use on her, less I'll have for you."
"You've lost me there."
"You know for a fact that's what boyfriends and girlfriends do. You'll see soon enough."
He blushes, retreats in disarray.
Naomi flashes a wicked smile, "there is a sadistic side to you. You probably scared him away from girls for the next ten years."
"Go on, more like a day."
"If he grows up to be gay, be all your fault oh yes oh yes."
As the bell rings to end recess, I realize, somehow or other, in this short time, Naomi and I have become better friends than any of my erstwhile Army buddies.
Rick still follows fairly close as we go in, so I'm guessing I didn't scare him off for a decade.
I give a wink, see the comprehension on his face. Now he knows I was just having fun, winks back.
On the way to her place, Naomi starts the argument as to whether manga comics are good or bad for the Jews. To me it seems almost pointless, unless an actual book has an anti-semitic theme, what difference does it make?
I start to suspect her secularism is partly for show and partly to help her make up her own mind. After all, if she had 100% decided, what need for any future argument?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home