afghangirlscifi

Science fiction stories chronicling Afghan women and girls.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sharon 7

Usually I don't bother with the weekday paper. Today I make an exception, as a familiar face appears on the front page.
It turns out one of our well known City officials has been caught with his fingers in the cookie jar. Specifically, taking a bribe from a developer.
Now that is really nice, seeing the police start to clean up the corruption, albeit a bit overdue.
And of course, nice to see people other than my boyfriends do actually get arrested.
Heh heh heh, even nicer knowing that's Naomi's fiance. Schadenfreude? Perhaps. But there is no question she's laughed at me enough. Make that a mix of Schadenfreude and revenge.
My sparkling good mood lasts til morning coffee break. Jennifer sits next to me, carrying her paper. Wicked smile, "you ah read the gossip column?"
"No."
She opens it, passes it to me.
"Once again, yours truly has the inside scoop. Which famous person in town (hint: see the front page) was recently seen sharing a table at Starbucks with which other famous person (hint: this makes the 4th BF cops have hauled away)? And they say librarians are bores?? Better look out guys, if you're #5, it ain't a good omen."
I groan loudly, "the only da** reason we were at the same table, Naomi was there too."
Jennifer shrugs, "can't even sue the b****. After all, she didn't name names. Life sure is a downer, huh? So, what is he like in bed?"
Indira pushes open the door, "got the Police Chief on hold on line one. He said find you if I hafta drag you outa a meeting or the bathroom."
I groan inwardly, doubting he'll believe what I have to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home